The NCGOP better hope the RNC fires up voters…
A new Emerson poll shows some possible problems for the President in the Tarheel state in 2020… EP
- FRONT RUNNER: Joe Biden leads President Trump 56% to 44%.
- MORE: Bernie leads by 8, Buttigieg leads by 4, Warren is tied, and Harris trails by 2
- SUPER TUESDAY: Joe Biden leads with 39%, followed by Sen. Bernie Sanders at 22% and Sen. Elizabeth Warren at 15%
- ISSUES: A plurality of voters, 32%, identify the economy as the single most important issue in deciding for whom they will vote for President. Followed by healthcare at 18%, social issues at 14%, and immigration at 13%.
TROUBLE FOR TILLIS: State Senator Erica Smith, who leads Tillis 46% to 39%, with 15% of voters undecided.
FOREST BEHIND: Governor Roy Cooper leads Lt Governor Dan Forest 52% to 38%, with 10% undecided.
Despite the bad polling, and the hype of some liberal media outlets the state itself is not turning blue according to Andy Jackson at the Civitas Institute… CIVITAS
“Based on changes in voter registration over the past decade, North Carolina is not trending blue. Voter registration trends indicate that, if anything, North Carolina is moving away from Democrats ever so slowly…The biggest change in voter registration by far, however, has been the rise of unaffiliated voters…”
IN OTHER NEWS
TARIFFS IMPACT ON NC: North Carolina ranked eighth among the states in terms of total imports from Mexico in 2018, according to data from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. The state imported about $7.7 billion in goods that year… SN
HOW LOUD: The Rev. William Barber led a crowd of at least 20 people in chants and song so loud the day he was arrested at the N.C. Legislative Building in 2017 that some staff complained they couldn’t work, the former sergeant-at-arms of the state Senate testified Tuesday… N&O
CUT IT OUT
When it comes to Wall Street cuts apparently equal green…
After a few weeks of stock market turmoil caused by tariff threats and slowing economic growth. Investors saw central-bank signals that fueled bets that the Fed would lower rates to keep the U.S. economy on solid footing… WSJ
- DOW: The Dow Jones Industrial Average up 512 points.
- NASDAQ: The Nasdaq surged 194.10 points, or 2.6%, to 7527.12 a day after many tech stocks took a hit putting the NASDAQ in correction territory.
- WHAT ARE THE ODDS: Federal-funds futures, used by traders to bet on the path of monetary policy, show markets pricing in a roughly 98% chance of at least one rate cut this year and about an 83% chance of at least two rate decreases
Donald Luskin says Chairman Powell has three good reasons to ut rates…WSJ
“First, there’s no risk of inflation, so why should Fed policy be any tighter than it has to be? Second, as Mr. Powell explained to Mr. Toomey, the market is signaling strongly that the Fed is too tight now. And third, a cut would show that Mr. Powell can lay out an original and compelling market-based policy vision, and then execute on it faithfully.”
IN OTHER NEWS
COULD THE GOP BUCK TRUMP: Defiant Republican senators warned Trump administration officials Tuesday they were prepared to block the president’s effort to impose tariffs on Mexican imports, threatening to assemble a veto-proof majority to mount their most direct confrontation with the president since he took office… WaPo
PETERSON CHARGED: Scot Peterson, the former Broward County sheriff’s deputy who was heavily criticized for refusing to engage the Parkland school shooter, was arrested Tuesday and charged with child neglect, negligence, and perjury… NR